Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mount Hood - Top That! (Bonus Death)


A well-known mountaineering guide was killed in an avalanche on Sunday.  CNN did the story. I guess he was a big deal or something. Folks are all torn up. Whatever.


You'll be interested to know that I had hired the fella to teach me crampon techniques on Mount Hood. We parted ways a few minutes before he met his demise.  I don't have much to say about him. But, as a windfall, my pics from the trip have gone viral. I reached the summit at 2:17 PM.

Was his loss a tragedy? Can't comment on that. Can't even remember his name. Unfortunately, they couldn't recover his body, and he still had my sunglasses in his backpack. What a shame. RIP:

The rescue attempt was a fiasco IMHO. I broke out fresh hand-warmers and watched the idiocy unfold.  But in the interest of good taste, check me out: tempting fate at the crevasse where he is entombed.

Good thing I went ahead and released this trove of snapshots for everyone. Funny how somebody dying puts my blog right back in the spotlight.  No skin off my lucky back though!

But about the guide dude; I can't say I would bother to offer a word in memorial, or let on that he did anything to touch others' lives.  My pictures speak for themselves about how great my trip was when I was there on Mt Hood.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you get your "bonus" soon, what a jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a fucking asshole, and have no place in the mountains. "Bonus death?" Are you fucking kidding me? And did you actually joke as though your sunglasses were worth more than that man's life? There's a special place in Hell for people like you, you fucking piece of shit. Too bad it was the more skilled mountaineer that died in the mountains and not the miserable filth whose life he probably saved on the way up. If you think making light of a better man's death is entertainment, think about all the people you hurt in the process.

    ReplyDelete